Marrakech Day Trip to Atlas Mountains
Day Trip Overview
Escape to the splendid Atlas Mountains and enjoy an award-winning day trip from Marrakech to the wilderness: Drive past the Agafay desert and ride camels. Cross Kik plateau with its mud-brick humble Berber houses. Meet shepherds waving at you with smiling faces. Visit Berber houses and sip a cup of mint tea. Hike Toubkal National Park to the waterfalls.
Atlas Mountain Marrakech day tour is a great escape for a day out of the bustling city. Atlas Mountain location makes this day tour the best opportunity to meet the Berbers and discover their amazing lifestyle.
Day Trip Highlights
- Drive across the Agafay desert to admire the view of the arid dunes with the Atlas Mountains in the backdrop
- Experience a camel ride enjoying the views of the snow-capped Atlas Mountains
- Enjoy a tea ceremony at a Berber house in Kik Plateau
- Hike to Aroumd Berber village and stop at the waterfalls on the way
- Treat yourself to a delicious Tagine served at a Berber family house
- Visit a Berber market and watch locals haggle for every item
Day Trip Itinerary
1 Day : Marrakech - Agafay - Toubkal National Park
After meeting your 4x4 driver/guide at your hotel or riad, your day trip to the Atlas Mountains from Marrakech will start with a drive south of the city through the Haouz plains to the Agafay desert. From here, enjoy some off the beaten track drive to the lake of Lalla Takerkoust where you will stop to enjoy the view and take photos. An optional 30 minutes camel ride will be your next stop at the slopes of the Atlas Mountains before you continue your drive through the mountainous tiny roads to Kik Plateau admiring the views of Berber villages scattered left and right. Fadma is a generous Berber lady who was kind enough to host our guests for a tea ceremony at her humble mud-brick house. She will bake homemade bread for you as well, to dip into extra virgin olive oil. Continue your Atlas Mountain journey through rough terrains to Imlil village, where we will leave our 4x4 and enjoy an hour moderate hike to ‘’Aroumd’’, a tiny Berber village located at the heart of Toubkal National Park, famous for its splendid views of Toubkal Mountain, the highest peak of North Africa ( 4 167 m / 13,671 ft high ). There is also a small waterfall the way not to miss, and surely your local guide will show you the way there. After a delicious Berber Tagine lunch served by a host family in ‘’Aroumd’’ Village, descend back to Imlil, and enjoy a smooth ride back to Marrakech through Tahennaout, the main town in the region, where the weekly market takes place every Tuesday. Your Marrakech to Atlas Mountains day trip will come to an end around 16h00 with a drop off at your hotel or riad in Marrakech.
A/C modern Toyota land cruiser 4x4
English speaking driver/guide
30 minutes camel ride
Mint tea, homemade bread, and olive oil at a Berber house
1-hour hike in Toubkal National Park with a local experienced guide
3-course lunch at a Berber House in Imlil Village
Things To Remember
- If the itinerary day trip from Marrakech to Atlas mountains that we offer does not match what you're looking for, contact us and we will prepare the trip for your needs and requirements.
- 50% off for children under 12 years with a maximum of 1 child per family