Shared Desert Trip to Zagora
Are you interested in learning more about the Sahara Desert in Morocco? A two-day Marrakech to Zagora desert tour is your best option to get the full experience in a short amount of time. Witness the incredible beauty of the desert in a mere seven hours of driving. This is your opportunity to explore the desert and take in its breathtaking sights. Don’t miss out on this amazing excursion when you visit Marrakech!
This exciting 2-day tour of the Zagora Sahara from Marrakech begins with the majestic Aït Benhaddou Kasbah and takes us through Ouarzazate, known as the South Pearl and home to stunning cinema studios, to the Kasbah Taourirt and the ancient Galoui Palace. We’ll then travel along the river in the Draa Valley, taking in the many gorgeous Kasbahs and the stunning palm tree oasis that produces the famous dates. We’ll end our journey in Agdz, before visiting Zagora. Along the way, we’ll have the opportunity to glimpse the incredible adobe structures used as homes in Kasbah villages that have been lived in for generations.
- Go across the High Atlas Mountains and travel the Tizi Ntichka pass.
- Visit Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou
- Drive along Draa Valley
- Enjoy a spectacular sunset camel ride
- Spend the night in a Berber desert camp in Zagora desert
- Visit Ouarzazate, the Gate to Morocco's Sahara desert
Day 1 : Marrakech – Ouarzazate – Zagora (7 H Drive)Join us on our two-day desert tour from Marrakech to Zagora, which departs at 7:30am! Along the way, you can explore the Tizi Ntichka pass and witness local Berber villages herding their goats. Step inside the local shops, take picturesque snaps in the High Atlas Mountains, and enjoy some rest and relaxation with a cup of coffee or tea. Don't miss out on this amazing adventure! Upon arriving at the majestic Kasbah Ait Benhaddou, a fortified fortress full of towering kasbahs, you have the incredible chance to explore its cobblestone pathways and UNESCO world heritage village. There is a knowledgeable tour guide available who can give you a guided tour of the area. After visiting the Kasbah, you can spend the following hour however you wish, be it by wandering the village or sampling some of the local delicacies. We will continue on our journey, driving past Ouarzazate, known as the entry into the Sahara Desert. From there, we will cross the North-eastern portion of the Anti Atlas Mountains, also known as the Lesser Atlas. This range is connected to the High Atlas Mountains by Mt Siroua. We will then visit the oasis between Agdz and Mhamid and take a tour of the fertile palmery, admiring the oasis' agriculture. After a short break in the village, we will drive along Draa Valley. Here you can marvel at the many fortified Kasbahs along with the countless date palm trees. Draa Valley is, in fact, home to the largest concentration of palm trees in the country. We are scheduled to arrive late in the afternoon at the Zagora desert. This will give you the chance to take a break and get a drink before meeting the camel caravans. You will be able to experience the unique beauty of the area with its expansive views and no sand dunes. During this special experience, you will ride a camel through the desert as you witness the remarkable sight of a desert sunset. The entire ride will approximately last an hour. Just before nightfall, our camels will bring us to our Berber desert camp. You'll be served a tantalizing meal of Moroccan fare at your camp, followed by an captivating drum show of local songs and folklore. The night sky will be brimming with sparkling stars, creating an atmosphere of tranquil stillness throughout the camp as you take in the view until midnight.
Day 2 : Zagora – High Atlas – Marrakech (7 H Drive)Just before the sun peeks over the horizon, your camp guide will ensure you're up to take in the stunning beauty of a desert sunrise. After a filling breakfast, climb aboard your camels for the ride to the main road. Here, you'll meet up with the driver and van, the first step on your way to Ouarzazate, dubbed the gateway to the Sahara Desert. On the way, you'll stop for lunch at a local cafe. Though, depending on time and entrance fees, there is an optional stop at Taourirt Kasbah, an old Glaoui palace. We will begin our return journey to Marrakech in the early afternoon, traversing the challenging terrain of the High Atlas Mountains. Our 2 day shared desert excursion from Marrakech to Zagora will conclude at a location closest to your lodging.
- Pick up from your hotel, riad, or nearest accessible point, on the day of the tour
- The vans provided on the tour are modern minibusses equipped with air conditioning and will be driven by an English and or French driver.
- The camel ride, tents, dinner, and breakfast are all provided for you. However, if you wish to have a more private tent, then upgrading to a more comfortable camp with hot showers is an option. (supplement of 15 Euros per person)
- Personal expenses
Things To Remember
- All driving times vary on any sightseeing, lunches, drinks, and leisure time.
- This tour is perfect for adventurers and easy-going travelers. However, there are private tours available that may better suit your needs.
- Your luggage will be safely stored in the van while camping in the desert.
- Because of limited space during camel rides and overnight stays at camp, please be sure you prepare a small backpack full of necessities.
- Remember to bring your own bathroom toiletries, toilet paper, washcloths, and a towel for camping. It is important to remember that you are going to be traveling in the desert.
- Remember to pack along with essentials like sunscreen, sunglasses, warm clothing for when the temperatures drop in the evening, and good walking shoes.
- Also, please wear jeans or long shorts during the camel ride portions of the tour. This is to avoid chafing and being uncomfortable while trekking through the Zagora desert.
price for group tours
|PRICE PER PERSON|