Toubkal Ascent and Desert Trek
Experience a thrilling hike to the Toubkal summit and a road trip to the mesmerizing desert of Morocco on this 5-day journey! Connect with the local culture as you spend nights in the mountain huts of the High Atlas, sharing a loaf of bread with Berbers, and in the Merzouga desert camps learning to play the Tamtam drums with the nomads. Immerse yourself in the beauty of this unique combination of the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara Desert.
- Climb Mount Toubkal, the tallest peak of North Africa, and immerse yourself in Berber culture as you traverse rugged mountains and Berber villages.
- Visit the Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou, a place recognized for its Game of Thrones and Gladiator filming locations.
- Embark on a captivating journey to the Erg Chebbi red sand dunes via a camel safari, and take in the gorgeous sights as you go from the Atlas Mountains to the Sahara desert.
- Spend a night in a traditional camp like a nomad, and let the sweeping landscapes of the desert mesmerize you.
Day 1 : Marrakesh – Imlil – Mount Toubkal
Day 2 : Mount Toubkal – Imlil Village
Day 3 : Imlil – Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou – Dades Valley
Day 4 : Dades Valley – Rissani – Merzouga Dunes
Day 5: Merzouga – MarrakechEarly morning wake up to watch the sunrise (optional), followed by breakfast and a camel ride back to the camp operator’s lodge. Greet your chauffeur for a lengthy journey as you journey home to Marrakech through Ouarzazate and the High Atlas Mountains. Your incredible Atlas hiking and Sahara desert excursion will be concluded at a riad, hotel, or any destination you choose in Marrakech.
- Enjoy a private transfer from Marrakech to Imlil in an air-conditioned modern vehicle.
- Upon arrival, you'll be met by a experienced local licensed English and French speaking mountain guide for your Toubkal ascent trek.
- Mules will be provided for luggage and meals transportation as you hike up Toubkal, with an overnight stay at the Toubkal refuge.
- All meals and mineral water will be provided (full board) during your Toubkal hike.
- On the second night, you'll stay in a Toubkal lodge in Imlil before being picked up on the third day.
- Enjoy a ride in an air-conditioned modern 4x4 or van, driven by an English-speaking driver/guide, for the desert part of the tour.
- The third night is spent in a private air-conditioned ensuite room at Auberge Panorama or Hotel Babylon, with dinner and breakfast included.
- Take a magical sunset camel ride in Erg Chebbi, then spend the fourth night in a Sahara desert camp on the edge of Erg Chebbi.
- You'll be accommodated in a private tent with shared bathrooms, including at the lodge run by the camp operator, you can take a shower in the morning.
- Dinner and breakfast are both included.
- There is the option to upgrade to a deluxe camp with an ensuite tent available when booking your desert tour.
- Beverages and lunches
- Entrance fees (if applicable)
- Local guides (if applicable)
Things to Remember
- The cost per person for a 2-day hike to Mount Toubkal varies based on the number of people in your party.
- Keep in mind that the trek is particularly challenging in winter due to the snow, and many participants struggle with altitude sickness.
- Driving times exclude any stops for sightseeing, photos, lunch, or a break. The third day driving from Erg Chebbi to Marrakech is quite long, so please be prepared for the journey.
- If there are five or more participants, a van will be used for the tour.
- Additionally, local guides and entrance fees (if applicable) must be paid directly to the suppliers.
- Pick up for the desert tour should be between 7:30 and 8:00 AM, and sandboards are available from the lodge at Erg Chebbi to take with you if you wish to go sandboarding.